Engineering is a lot of work – you need to get creative and think outside the box, make use of all the
formulas you can get your hands on, use your practical knowledge, test, ask, research, improve and
invent. All this while making sure that you got the numbers right and considered all the alternative
possible (and impossible) scenarios.
Calculations are the heart of Engineering and we all know that getting them right is not as simple as it
sounds. Wouldn’t it be nice to have something to help you through the process so you can focus on the
things that really matter rather than going back and forth through your notebook to find a solution that
you came up with to two weeks ago?
Well, you are in luck, because Mathcad is exactly what you need! It’s designed to help Engineers solve,
analyse, document, and share their calculations easily with no need to learn a complicated programming
What does Mathcad Prime have to offer?
1. A user friendly ribbon interface with intuitively designed tabs and drop-down menus that help you find everything quickly and efficiently.
2. Natural maths notation. What you type in a worksheet looks the same as you would write by hand or read in a course book.
3. Seamless integration of maths, text, tables, images, plots and programs. Document every step of your work in one single file and easily verify sources of data.
4. Templates. You can create, edit, organise and use templates as the basis for new worksheets.Templates can contain any calculation or document formatting content, which means that you don’t have to start from scratch every single time.
5. Unit management. You can forget about this major headache and source of errors because Mathcad performs unit conversions automatically in 3 different unit systems and also allows you to create your own units.
6. Engineering resources. Hundreds of worksheets created by experts around the world, just a click away.
7. Over 700 built-in functions. No need to reinvent the wheel, just make it spin more efficiently! Most of the functions you will need to use are pre-defined; all you need to do is type in the arguments and get the result. Don’t worry if you can’t find it on the list; you can also create your own.
8. Import/ export Excel equations and data. You can easily import the content of an Excel file into the worksheet, work your magic on the numbers and export it back to Excel.
9. Integration with CAD software. This allows you to quickly drive Mathcad input variables from CAD model parameters. You can also map Mathcad output results back to the CAD model created in Creo, SolidWorks or AutoCAD.
10. Share your calculations. Best things in life are meant to be shared, and it’s so easy to do it by just saving your worksheet in a different format such as PDF or XPS. You can also send them out as a native Mathcad format that can be opened by anyone who has Mathcad Express. And anyone can have it, because it’s the free version of Prime.
What about Mathcad 15?
This is the older of version of the software, still fully supported by PTC. It has an old-style interface,
but other than that it includes all the features listed above plus some other features that are yet to
be added to Prime, such as: choice of solving algorithms, custom display of operators, Animation,
vector field plot, 3D bar, 3D patch, second y-axis and many more.